Sunday, March 18, 2012

You're doing what?!?

What do you make when you mix woods, people, airsoft, and a spoonful of fun?

 Can you spot the guy hiding?


Missionary work
Missionary work?!?
Well actually yes, missionary work.  I don't have to travel to a different continent to find someone that is in need of Jesus, just across town.

"Then saith He unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;"    Matthew 9:37 King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)  (Thought I would go with a different version you're not used to reading! :o)

 MAF aircraft in Ecuador

Over the past couple of years I have been actively training to become a missionary in the technical aspect of flying.  However my training should not be limited to just planes, the whole reason I wanted to become a pilot (other than flying really cool aircraft) is for the PEOPLE that I will be SERVING while I am there.  

 Spokane Sunrise

Who am I serving now while I am here in Spokane, WA?  I have been thinking and struggling with this thought about being a witness while I am here state side.  It is hard to reach out to non-believers when my work, school and home life all consist of Christians.  Now, through the wisdom and humorous way that God works, He has shown me that even through airsoft I can reach out to others and share Christ with them.  Crazy huh?
 
Robby in his airsoft gear

Robby is a friend that I have been reaching out to and trying to show what the love of Jesus looks like.  We met last October with our common airsoft interest and have struck up a friendship in the meantime.  He is an ex-marine with a very colorful history, and has a hunger to have some stability in his life.  Over the past eight months I have helped him and his family move two times.  Although helping them only took my time and gas, to them I was the only one that actually cared more for them when their friends didn't.  Through these times of interacting with Robby I asked if he wanted to go to church with me.  He and his girlfriend have now been coming to church consistently for the past four months and hear the gospel preached weekly from the pulpit.  He is hungry to hear truth.  While we know that Jesus is Truth, Robby is still looking elsewhere for truth and finding only emptiness.  Many times he has told me "you have restored my faith in humanity" and I just want to scream that humanity is lost and only Jesus is the One you should put your faith in.  Although I don't scream I do try and redirect that I am a Christian and only am following the example that Jesus has given me.  Jesus is the only answer that will change our lives for good, not me, not more money, not a new house to live in.     

I have shared many times with them about their need for Jesus but they have not responded yet. Please pray with me for their salvation and that the Lord will grant them mercy and soften their hearts towards Him.  I want to see Robby turn away from the destructive path he is going down so that he will honor and glorify the Lord with his life.

Robby and I at an airsoft game

It is amazing how God can use a hobby that I LOVE to do and change it into an opportunity for me to share my faith with someone else.  I am excited and humbled by this chance to share with Robby.


Being a missionary now,

Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment